Friday, May 14, 2010

Funny Little Moments

"Well, let's pray,"said Paul, seriously. The Calcot Group nodded in silence and we bowed our heads. What a time, I thought, to be eating a biscuit. For some reason, Paul and Heather had brought oversized cookies to group; the ones with great chunks of white-chocolate lodged in them.

I sat down, bowed my head, and tried to be serious. The trouble was, when I half-opened my eyes, I realised it looked like I was praying to a half-eaten biscuit. What do you do? I was holding it quite carefully between my thumbs and forefingers, like some holy relic. I'm afraid I got the giggles.

The thing is, I'm quite convinced that it's OK to get the giggles. In fact, I think these little 'funny moments' are more than OK. I think they're... kind of necessary. And kind of missing.

After all, have you ever considered what Jesus meant when he promised us 'life, and life in abundance'? I don't think he meant extra-meetings, or longer sermons. I don't even think he meant super-dooper hour-long worship times. I think he meant... what he said. Life: the whole kit-and-caboodle; the joy, the tears, the triumph, the disaster, the family, the friendships, the sobriety and the silliness, all spinning and changing and loving and laughing, like a rushing river, turning and twisting over the undercurrent of grace and bedrock of His word.

Those are the things the devil's out to steal, and kill and destroy - the things that make life rich and wonderful and far far far from boring. Aren't they? The things that are made whole and complete and are perfected in Jesus...

-

I composed myself and finished my biscuit. Of course, life is pretty serious sometimes. This week, (on the same day as it goes) I discovered that two of my friends have been diagnosed with epilepsy. Someone else I know said goodbye to his wife as she slipped into the night. A few days ago I lost the plot and sent a volcanic late night email with all the wrong words to all the wrong people. And things do get serious; I wouldn't suggest for a minute that life should be fluffy and fun all the time.

No, life's complicated. But it's also supposed to be balanced and wonderful. And I think those funny little moments are there to help. Like chunks of chocolate in an oversized cookie. Don't let them pass you by. Let your hair down, be yourself and have a giggle.

Or, like I did the other day at work, have a little bop. As I was popping and clicking and shuffling my shoulders, my colleague slid a piece of paper across the desk. 'Nice Dancing' it said. I pulled my headphones out, feeling a little sheepish. I didn't quite know how to tell him I wasn't actually listening to anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment