Saturday, April 10, 2010

Waiting for a Towel

Right. I've just put my towel in the washing machine, ready for tomorrow. I had to pull out a load of James's stuff; shirts and stripy socks, swimming around in the empty tub. It'll all go back in in thirty minutes.


Tomorrow it's baptisms, and I'm going in to do some dunking. Actually I'm a bit nervous because the last time I was in the pool, we didn't quite manage to get the person being baptised fully underwater. Yinka made us do it again. We're a funny lot us Christians sometimes.


The house is quiet tonight. James is in that schroedinger-state of being out/asleep (I can never tell which it is) and Reuben is canoodling. Oh and I'm not entirely sure where Danni is. She seems to exist inside a sort of cyclone that breezes in and out, taking a collection of bags, clothes, keys and shopping with her, with never quite enough time to just stop. I wonder whether some people are just great at creating that life around them, and others do a bit too much stopping. I suppose I'm kind of envious of the whirlwindies - although on balance, stopping is great.


And so, I'm here on my own, stopped, and waiting for the washing machine.


It's been an amazing day today: blue skies, warm sunshine, light breezes - a proper spring day. I went for a walk by the river at Pangbourne. Narrowboats and leisure boats were moored up, dogs were racing around after soggy branches and tennis balls, and the Great British Public were lazing on the grass as though it were the height of summer. I suppose, given the way these things go, it may well have been. It was nice to see happy people too: mums with babies, couples lounging awkwardly, and kids on bikes. Days like this are good for reminding us that not everyone lives in Eastenders. There is some goodness in the world.


I wonder if my towel will dry by the morning...


No comments:

Post a Comment