Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bring it on?

The sky was blue. Powdery lines of cloud streaked across the morning, and bright fresh sunlight fell on tall trees, dappling them with glory. It felt, finally, like Spring. And after the coldest and longest of winters, it was most welcome.

"Bring it on," I'd said defiantly. If you had told me then that in six months' time I would be driving down the M4 to work, I would have carefully dismissed it. Like a bedizened passenger stepping aboard the RMS Titanic, I would have waved away such nonsense with a sparkling eye and an upturned nose. Pride does that to you.

So then. The M4 it was; and is, every morning for the moment. Somehow in a way I don't understand, it seems right; although I don't much like it. I guess disciples know this feeling. We grimace and pull out our hair and look to Heaven and somehow find the strength to say "Not my will, but yours..." and we mean it. If only I had meant it when it mattered...

More about all this some other time. To be honest, I just wanted to get writing again. I suppose the warmth of the sun, the hint of summer days, and love, happiness and excitement, speak deeply to this battered old heart.

Psalm 57:1-3

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me,
for in you my soul takes refuge.
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
until the disaster has passed.

I cry out to God, Most High,
to God, who fulfills his purpose for me.

He sends from heaven and saves me,
rebuking those who hotly pursue me;
Selah
God sends his love and his faithfulness.

... bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment